Friday, September 7, 2012

A Junior Version of Dan Brown!

Recently I posted a promotional, calling my new middle grade/YA novel, Secrets of the Medicine Pouch, a 'junior version of Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code.' Understanding how popular (and well-written) Brown's book is, I had to think hard about the similarities between our two works, and how/whether the plot, characters, pacing, story details, etc. would lead readers to make such a comparison. I'd like to share with you some general points that I believe make the case.

1. The imaginative use of ancient script and code - I did considerable research into the ancient writing and symbolism of Native American/Sonoran culture as it was originally interpreted and used, and ways it might still hold meaning and significance for today's reading audiences. The real challenge for me was conveying all of the specifics to my editorial staff at Open Books Press.

2. Important props in the storyline are secretive and hidden away - As with Dan Brown's riveting storyline, Secrets is very much about the delicious mystery of the unknown and the imaginative. What the reader is forced to speculate about, simply because detail is being held back, drives the plot and makes the novel a real page-turner. I try to provide just enough 'food for thought' to keep the 'stomach' from growling--at least, not too loudly.

3. The plot must develop fully within a very restricted timeframe - Secrets races, as does The Da Vinci Code. Placing a severe restriction on the amount of time your main characters have to successfully complete the mission is a winning formula in any novel project.

4. Very authentic and believable characters - Both novels utilize well-developed, dual protagonists who convince the reader early on that they are in charge, on top of the action, and best suited to solve the mystery and overcome the odds.

5. Unpredictability -  Numerous twists and turns in the plot and storyline make it very difficult for the reader to anticipate what will happen next. I always want my reader to be with me, but not ahead of me. Actually, struggling to catch up is okay too!


 
And so, my advice to readers is to revisit The  Da  Vinci Code. Reread this wonderfully crafted book, enjoying it for all the literary strength it possesses. While you read, take mental notes (even jot down as necessary), so that you gain full satisfaction from the experience. Then, pick up Secrets of the Medicine Pouch. Follow a similar note-taking process, and finally ask yourself: Is this (Secrets) not the best example of historical mystery/adventure since the publication of Brown's hugely successful book? I strongly believe that that will be your conclusion! Happy discovery!

No comments: