Thursday, July 5, 2012

I was just connected with young adult readers at Goodreads.com, and part of a discussion on: 'What book started you reading?' Many are citing wonderful examples, everything from C.S. Lewis's 'The Chronicles of Narnia,' to Suzanne Collins's ...'The Hunger Games.'
I couldn't resist adding the book that really started it all for me, thanks in part to my 7th grade English teacher. She brought the pages of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings' 1939 Pulitzer Prize winner, 'The Yearling,' to life for all of us in her class. For the first time, I learned about honor, respect, and sacrifice, and in a way few other writers have accomplished for me since.
I urged all in the discussion thread to read the book, if they hadn't already, and share their thoughts.
What book started you reading? More importantly perhaps - Why was it such a motivator for you?
See More

No comments: