Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Coyote Tale

Doggers,

Did you know that coyotes are members of the dog family? Well, now you do...and that's the reason why we're 'doggers!' They eat almost anything...rabbits, rodents, fish, frogs...even deer. They happily dine on insects, snakes, fruit, grass, and 'road kill.' Yum! They have extremely keen senses of sight and smell, and can hit speeds of 40 mph! Amazin'!

Got your copy of Gift of the Desert Dog yet? I'm only asking 'cause I'm dying to hear from you about the character of Danny Rivas and the trouble he gets himself into. I mean, Mr. Delgado's chihuahua is the least of his worries! I don't want to give away too much, but what would you do if you came face-to-face with an armed drug smuggler? Not to mention, Jake Boyle, the friendly rez bully.

Okay, okay, no more 'spilling the story beans.' But hey, get reading. And when you've finished Gift, and you're feeling all motivated to grab another good story, but you just can't wait for Secrets of the Medicine Pouch: Adventure in the Borderlands, try one of these great mystery/adventures from other middle grade/YA authors: Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen, The Winter People by Joseph Bruchac, or Crossing the Wire by Will Hobbs.

Well, it's lunch time and I'm famished. Lets see...I've got my taco shell (found it in a box someone tossed at the land fill), salsa (prefer the homemade green variety--I sort of process it myself by filling my mouth with sage leaves, grass, and poblano chiles I borrow from ristras people hang), cheese (found it on top of a half-eaten burger in a dumpstar behind Mickey-D's), and my favorite ingrediant of all, fresh meadow mouse (have one left over from last night's raid on the football field at Tanque Verde High School). Now, where did I put the sour cream I picked up in the trash at Dairy Queen?

Aahhhhooooooooooooo...

Top Dog

No comments: